Monday, February 16, 2015

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Yawning


Image result for animal yawn cute

9:30 am on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, I find myself in a classroom at Furman University, sitting in a hard plastic desk, purposely designed to keep its user alert, staring at my professor in order to learn Spanish. Some days, I am caffeinated and awake, appearing well-put together; other days, it is a mystery how I managed to drag myself into my seat. My troubles are universal to any college student: poor time management, late night cram sessions, or perhaps a spontaneous adventure to Waffle House at midnight are just a few reasons why I am currently still in the process of waking up in my early morning Spanish class. The trend of sleepy eyes and the occasional yawn has spread among my classmates, and caused my professor to make an announcement, “Yawning is not allowed in my classroom because it is rude and shows disinterest.” She went on to claim that yawning is a cultural phenomenon and in her native country, Spain, people do not yawn. I interpret her statement as inaccurate. My cultural environment did not teach me the ability to yawn. A yawn in innate as a cough or sneeze, and to forbid a natural bodily action is unreasonable. This classroom rule is a violation of my natural rights.


Yawning is not a product of the cultural environment. In fact, unborn fetuses even yawn. On Live Science, there is a video of an ultrasound of a 30 week old fetus yawning. According to their study, fetal yawning is linked to healthy brain development. An unborn fetus has no exposure to the culture of the outside world, proving that a yawn is innate and a natural bodily function (Ghose, Tia). In addition to this, animals also yawn. There are countless times where I have personally observed my two dogs yawning. Animals are not affected by the customs o the American culture in response to yawning. Yawning is natural process like breathing, coughing, or breathing. No other person is harmed from the process of the yawn. Prohibiting me from yawning is an infringement on my personal freedom. This is my body, the thing that I possess the most fully and entirely. I have the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of yawning.

It is reasonable to expect a certain etiquette in stifling a yawn. One may cover the yawn with their hand. One may stop the noise that usually accompanies the best of yawns. Or one may try not to open their mouth and instead make a convoluted expression that is almost worse than the actual yawn. After the yawn, one could offer an apologizing remark to excuse the yawn. This is the proper etiquette of a yawn, and this is reasonable discipline to expect from the yawner; however, the right to yawn must always exist in these free, fifty states.




 Bibliography


Ghose, Tia. "Fetus Yawning Reveals Brain Development." LiveScience. TechMedia Network, 21 Nov. 2012. Web. 16 Feb. 2015.

2 comments:

  1. I feel your professor's pain as someone who has stared down many a passive-aggressive yawn and head-plant-into-desk. It's of course not the most fun thing in the world to face, and I don't like it. So let's just have a moment of empathy for those who have to deal with yawns, which of course as you note are an innate response.

    Having said that, your post brings up many interesting points about the difference between innate traits and cultural expression. This is a topic that fascinated Smith and Hutcheson. Cultures seem to show both a uniformity and a diversity--how is that? They posited certain set universal tendencies, like sympathy and benevolence, that then undergo various cultural transformations. So both you and your professor are right: yawns are innate, but the idea of feeling free to yawn in class is indeed a very American thing, a product of our emphasis on individualism and a sense of entitlement to our own opinions and beliefs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had teachers outlaw yawning, which only encouraged my eighth grade class to yawn in drawn-out, elaborate ways.I can definitely see how teachers aren't the biggest fans of their students yawning during their lectures and discussions, but like you said, it's a natural function. I have an 8:30 this semester, so a couple of yawns have escaped me during class, but I don't mean any disrespect by it-I'm simply just tired.

    ReplyDelete